Lakes in Rajasthan: Famous Lakes of Rajasthan
1. Pushkar Lake:
Interesting facts about Pushkar Lake:
- Located at the town of Pushkar in the Ajmer district of Rajasthan.
- It is a sacred Lake for Hindus.
- Surrounded by 52 ghats (bathing spots) and many temples.
- The world famous Pushkar Fair is held at this lake every year.
- The only Brahma temple in the world is located at this lake.
- It is also known as ‘Tirtha Raj’ which means ‘the king of all pilgrimage sites.’
2. Sambhar Lake:
Interesting facts about Sambhar Lake:
- Largest inland salt Lake of India
- Located around 90 km south-west of Jaipur city of Rajasthan.
- Famous for the production of salt or brine.
- It is mentioned in the Mahabharata as part of the kingdom of the demon king Brishparva.
3. Pichola Lake:
Interesting facts about Pichola Lake:
- Artificial lake located in the Udaipur city of Rajasthan.
- Built in the 1362 AD.
- Spread over an area of 696 hectares, maximum depth is 8.5 meters.
- There are four islands on the lake; Jag Niwas, Jag Mandir, Mohan mandir and Arsi Villas.
- Boating is available.
4. Fateh Sagar Lake:
Interesting facts about Fateh Sagar Lake:
- It is an artificial lake located in the Udaipur city of Rajasthan.
- Built by Maharaja Fateh Singh in 1888.
- Known as ‘Second Kashmir’ due to blue water and its picturesque location.
- It has three islands; Nehru Park, Udaipur Solar Observatory and Ram Pratap Palace.
- Every year ‘Hariyali Amavasya Mela (Green New Moon Fair) is organized nearby this lake.
- It is connected to the Rang Sagar Lake and Pichola Lake by a water canal.
5. Nakki Lake:
Interesting facts about Nakki Lake:
- A sacred lake located at Mount Abu in the Rajasthan state of India.
- Surround by Aravali hills; mountains, gardens, valleys, etc.
- Ashes of Mahatma Gandhi were immersed in this lake on 12 February 1948 and Gandhi Ghat was built.
- Known as Love lake of Mount Abu.
- Largest manmade lake located at a height of 11000 meters in India.
- It is believed it is formed by the nails (nakh) by deities, so it is named Nakki Lake.
6. Man Sagar Lake
Interesting facts about Man Sagar Lake:
- Located in the Jaipur city of Rajasthan.
- Jal Mahal is built in the middle of this lake.
- Home to around 150 species of birds; perfect site for bird watchers.
- The backdrop of Nahargarh hills offers a picturesque view of the lake.
7. Balsamand Lake:
Interesting facts about Balsamand Lake:
- Located 5 km away from Jodhpur city of Rajasthan.
- Surrounded by lush gardens of fruit trees.
- Built in the 1159 AD by Maharaja Sur Singh, a Gurjara-Pratihara ruler.
- Balsamand Palace which is a luxurious hotel is located nearby this lake.
8. Jaisamand Lake:
Interesting facts about Jaisamand Lake:
- Also known as Dhebar Lake.
- Located in the Udaipur city of Rajasthan.
- Built by Rana Jai Singh in the 17thcentury by constructing a dam across the Gomti River.
- Second largest artificial lake in Asia; Spread over an area of 50 sq. km.
- It has three islands and is surrounded by Jaisamand Wildlife Sanctuary and Summer Palaces of the Queens of Udaipur.
9. Ana Sagar Lake:
Interesting facts about Ana Sagar Lake:
- Artificial lake located in the Ajmer city of Rajasthan, India.
- Largest lake of the Ajmer; spread over an area of 13 sq. km.
- Built by Arnoraj Chauhan, the grandfather of Prithvi Raj Chauhan.
- It has one island at its center.
- Surrounded by pavilions and Daulat Bagh Gardens.
10. Gadisar Lake:
Interesting facts about Gadisar Lake:
- Located in the middle of the desert in Jaisalmer city of Rajasthan, India.
- Built by Maharaja Gadsi Singh of Jaisalmer.
- Famous tourist spot of the city.
- Surrounded by ancient architecture and situated close to the fort of Jaisalmer.
- Boating facility is available.
Indian Prime Minister (PM) – List
Indian Prime Minister (PM) – List In India, the prime minister is the head of the Government, all the de…